This drone licensing program aims to build an expert RPAS licensed workforce that can find well-paying jobs in the Canadian RPAS service industry. We expect our successful drone licensing students to be employed in the industry within six months of qualifying for a drone pilot licence. We will promote the drone licensing diploma nationally and successful students will receive their RPAS license, and will be recognized as holding a valuable industry qualification.
This drone pilot licence diploma is registered for delivery at the Volatus RPAS Training Academy in Prince Edward Island and approved by the Department of Education and Lifelong Learning.
RPAS Advanced Piloting & Videography Skills
Days 1 to 4
Complex environment training will build on the drone pilot license student’s skills to understand RPAS setup, control & function. Close proximity skills and complex piloting with photography & videography knowledge and techniques will develop safety and professional cinematic skills. Video editing, project management and using copyright to protect and sell media are also covered in this module. This section is based around the use of the DJI Mavic series RPAS equipment.
1. RPAS Setup Control & Function (DJI Mavic & Inspire)
2. Flight Modes & Calibration Procedures
3. RPAS Camera Systems, Lenses, Sensors & Exposure Settings
4. Understanding Video Formats, CODEC's, LOG Files & LUT's
5. Advanced Close Proximity Piloting Skills (incl. NIST Obstacle Course Training)
6. Aerial Photography & Videography techniques (Object Tracking & Compound Motions)
7. Photo & Video Editing workflows (Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro)
8. Use of RPAS Accessories (Lens Filters, Payloads, Parachutes, Remote Monitors)
9. RPAS Project Management, Selling Stock Media and copyright, Log Keeping & Maintenance
RPAS Inspection & Thermography
Days 5 to 9
Drone inspection techniques and understanding RPAS payload systems are imperative for an RPAS professional. In addition to cementing these skills, our drone pilot licence students will be introduced to thermography and specialist sensor applications. This section is based around the use of the DJI Matrice 300 RTK and the H20T payload.
1. RPAS Setup Control & Function (DJI Mavic & Matrice)
2. Payload Systems (DJI H20 Series, IR, UV, Gas Detection etc.)
3. Optimal Camera and Sensor Settings for Inspection Applications
4. Introduction to Drone Thermography Techniques
5. Advanced Piloting Inspection Skills (incl. NIST Obstacle Course Training)
6. RPAS Inspection Techniques (Buildings, Structures, Bridges, Paved Surfaces)
7. Inspecting Infrastructure (Solar Panels, Wind Turbines, Power Lines, Cell Towers)
8. Dual Control RPAS Operational Skills (DJI Matrice 300 RTK)
9. Use of RPAS Accessories (RTK Base Station, CSM Radar, Third Party Apps)
10. Autonomous Flight Control, Data Collection & Project Management
RPAS Survey & Mapping
Days 10 to 14
Many people fail in commercializing their RPAS license skills because of poor data management and bad workflows. We will teach our drone pilot license students the fundamentals of data management and workflows to ensure their success. Additionally, drone pilot license students will learn: aerial photogrammetry, mapping, multispectral imaging & crop management, LIDAR principles, RTK & PPK GPS positioning methods, Orthomosaic stitching and 3D point cloud construction processes. This section is based around the use of the DJI Matrice 300 RTK, the L1 Lidar payload, the Micasense multispectral sensors, the D-RTK2 Base Station and DJI Terra.
1. Payload Systems (DJI H20 Series, IR, UV, Gas Detection, NDT)
2. Optimal Camera and Sensor Settings for Survey & Mapping Applications
3. Introduction to Fixed Wing & VTOL RPAS Systems & Piloting Techniques
4. 2D & 3D Mapping Photogrammetry Methods and Mission Planning
5. Introduction to RTK & PPK GPS Positioning
6. Orthomosaic Stitching & 3D Point Cloud Data Collection & Workflows
7. Data Management & Analysis with AI and Live Data Processing
8. Ag Crop Stress Analysis using IR & NIR NDVI Data
We offer a full unconditional refund of any course fee, providing it is requested more than 7 days from the commencement of the course. After this time a credit will be issued for use with any course, subject to availability.